Sunday, June 14, 2009

Elizabeth Marlowe...Scientist?

I think not. My mother, however, just spent the better part of half an hour in the Target parking lot trying to convince me that, yes, I was destined to do science for a living.

This all stemmed from me not wanting to talk about a personal issue I had been having. The last time we talked about this she broke down and just generally "lost it" at a Dairy Queen in Buffalo, Texas. So I told her rather firmly several times that I did not want to discuss it and she should just drop it.

That (somehow) led to, "You know, you've been awfully secretive lately." Oh have I? I wasn't aware. I don't intentionally hide things from her. And you know, really, I wouldn't be secretive if my mother were more balanced or she didn't try and run my life making decisions for me.

She said, "You know, when Valerie was in college I actually saw her grades. You just tell me and I'm supposed to just believe you. When we get home I want to see your grades."

THAT conversation led to what I wanted to do with my life. Eventually I let Momma in on the fact that I might want to work for NASA if I could, but not in the science area.

"I'm not a scientist, Mom."

"But you could be. You can do anything. I've always said you were the one that could do anything! You aren't limited by learning disabilities like Valerie and I am."

Okay, for the record, my sister is really fucking smart. I'm not as intelligent as she is and I recognize that. Even with her very slight learning disability in math, she has gone on to some pretty amazing things in life and I will be lucky to be half as successful.

"But I don't want to do science. I like it okay, sure, but I like other stuff better. I don't like math! I can do it, but I don't like to do it. It's not fun for me!"

"But you could be so good at it!"

"Mom! No! listen to me, I do not want to do it. I like political science."

"You could keep political science as a minor..."

Okay, let's break this down:
  1. I am halfway done with college. All the math and additional science reqs would probably put me at an EXTRA 3-4 semesters. All in all, 5 1/2 - 6 years. No. (once more, with feeling...) HELL NO! I am not doing that.
  2. I like science in the way that someone thinks "oh thats kinda cool." I like to watch the Discovery channel and my favorite show on the History channel is "The Universe" which is about spacey things. Hence, why it would be fun to work for NASA. I find it interesting, but I don't have a passion for it.
  3. I'm not known for doing well with things that I'm not totally interested in. I'm working on it, but I still find math too boring to willfully engage in. ANY science major would require significantly more math than I am willing to commit myself to right now.
  4. I know something that my mother does not, and it makes all the difference in the world. The physics department at UNT is full of pissy uncompromising bitches. No thanks, I'll pass on dealing with that.
She continued to try to convince me to CHANGE MY MAJOR.

"You know Valerie went the political science route and look where she is."

"Valerie graduated with an English degree, Mom."

"Oh. Well before that it was political science."
(Again, my sister is not, by any means, unsuccessful in my opinion.)


The conversation continued to devolve from there until I conceded to look at a website detailing scientific career opportunities available. Ah...Life with my mother. It just keeps getting better and better (or, you know, more of the same).

Oh! PS, Blog, I am going to Nashville in a couple of weeks and I need things to do to fill my time! Comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

No comments: