Saturday, May 23, 2009

Summertime

Its Saturday. Which means my mom is home and not at work.

I fell asleep last night on the couch and not my bed, which is not unusual. The thing about being home for the summer, is I don't live alone anymore.

I woke up purely on instinct this morning. The reason I know this is that I hadn't actually planned to get up until much later than the 8:00 that I ended up being awoken.

As the haze began to clear, I realized I was not ready to be up. I tried rolling over, which usually works. Just as I was about to fall back asleep, I hear my mom's door open and close abruptly. No big deal, she usually walks through the living room to do whatnot.

Then I hear her footsteps stop. Right in the middle of the living room. Maybe 45 seconds pass and I think she's doing something or maybe looking through the mail super-quietly. I decide to take a quick look to make sure and then go back to sleep. Only, no. Because she was staring at me.

"Oh, good. You're up."

"Wellllll...Only kinda. Why were you just standing there looking at me?"

"I didn't want to wake you up when I went to make something to eat." (Our kitchen and living room are just separated by a bar counter.) "Can I go make something?"

"Sure."


I roll over, TRY to go back to sleep, and fail. My mother makes the loudest breakfast ever, and I am up for the day.

The thing is, this is not uncommon at home. I know, I know..."If you just slept in your bedroom, this wouldn't be a problem." Only, yes, it would. My mother comes to my room to tell me the weirdest things at the weirdest times and there's nothing I can do about it. She doesn't listen or absorb the things that I tell her. So the only remaining option becomes to deal with it. But dealing with it doesn't mean I can't bitch about it.

I am in for such a fun summer. With my mom day in and day out. Hooray.

No comments: